Successful social anxiety therapy groups follow the guidelines established by years of consistent research about social anxiety. While individual appointments can help a person make progress with cognitive therapy, a团体人们需要帮助人们做出行为进步。这是对社交焦虑症的治疗如此困难的原因。很难在同一地点组织一个有动力和专门的人群，在同样的认知行为战略以及越来越好的同一页面上都是在同一页面上。心理学家，治疗师，顾问或团体领导人必须选择愿意并准备做克服社会焦虑所需的社交焦虑的人。
1. Are composed ONLY of people with a diagnosable case of social anxiety disorder.
6. Once a strategy is learned, there must be encouragement to使用策略in the group.
For example, once "slow talk" is thoroughly understood and learned, people volunteer to use slow talk when they mingle with others, read a passage from a book, or answer questions from other group members. Slowing down is an important element in getting control over anxiety because, physiologically, anxiety is an excess amount of adrenaline and cortisol running through the system. Several specific cognitive strategies should be focused on specific ways that people can slow down this response to anxiety. One of our handouts is titled "Responding to Anxiety in a New Way" and it goes into detail about what to do and why to do it when a person is in the middle of an anxious situation. Many specific cognitive strategies should be learned and used by people so that they can get in control of their anxiety and slow it down.
6. As members volunteer to put the strategies into place, they should do it in a systematic way only. We call it the "step by step" approach and quite literally use this idea in our groups. A person is never forced or pressured to do something. They volunteer to do an activity, while using one or two of the cognitive strategies.
8.如果它导致他们有点焦虑，人们志愿者做某事 - 但没有超过这一点。我不允许我的任何团体成员志愿者做一些“太多”或太快的事情，太快了。如果允许洪水，那么人们将加强他们的焦虑。结果，焦虑变得更强壮。
9. People are motivated and encouraged by the group leader, but not forced to do anything. The group leaders should be positive-minded and rationally proactive. Small things, like tone of voice and intentions are highly important to the group's success.
For example, people who fear speaking in front of others gradually begin to work toward this point. The first step may be in reading something while sitting down. Then, the person may ask the group to ask them questions while sitting down. Then, at some point, they feel comfortable in coming to the front of the room and reading or answering questions. As anxiety continues to be reduced, they may choose to present something minor to the group. As time progresses, they systematically move forward, doing a little bit more each week, and present a little more information each time.
11. Group activities must be thoroughly explained. Everyone must understand the rationale behind the group activity. No suprises should be allowed at this stage. Group members should always know the direction the group is going in and what some group members may choose to do.
例如，我们所做的一个群体活动，称为“死亡圈”，正在围绕圈子介绍自己并告诉我们自己的一点。在开始这项活动之前，需要一个很长的解释;团队的领导人应该非常平静，清晰地拼写，所以这个人可以看到这不是，因为他们以前认为，“世界末日”。在解释后有人遭受焦虑症的情况下，他们经历了一小千焦虑的人可以进入并进行这项活动，但如果在解释后，他们不应该参加活动，直到他们的焦虑已经平静下来。集团负责人应该拆分活动的部分，做一个，然后是另一个，然后是活动的第三部分，使其更容易开始。在我们开始作为一个团体的活动之前，我总是在开始活动之前征得我的团体成员，因为他们必须准备好 - 并且只是少量的焦虑 - 让我们向前迈进，这样做，并之后与自己合理。
13. You can tell if you're working on something in the group that will permanently decrease your anxiety by using this rule:
If what you're doing causes a little self-consciousness, or
if it causes a little discomfort because you're the center of attention,
14.必须维持每个个人的步骤过程。人们一步一步，就是这样。Trying to combine steps to make faster progress doesn't work and causes the person to have a setback. We never want to reinforce setbacks, discouragements, and high levels of anxiety.
15. As each specific cognitive strategy is practiced, learned, and implemented in the group, it should be talked about in terms of "proactivity." Group members can report back to the group each week what they did during the previous week in taking a cognitive strategy and putting it into place in their lives. The focus is on getting better - never on complaining about our anxiety problems.
16. In a social anxiety group, everyone else understands what social anxiety does to lives, and they intuitevely understand each other's situations in life. Group members can become great "therapists" themselves as they meet with the group, outside of the official therapy time, and help each other with the specific cognitive strategies. Group members who help other group members produce a double positive effect: they reinforce what they're learning for themselves, and they help another person to reinforce the strategy they need to learn thoroughly.
17. Group members should be encouraged to meet together, hang out, and go places with each other during the other six days of the week. To overcome social anxiety, you have to learn to feel more comfortable around other people, and the best approach to doing this is in working with other people who have social anxiety. Hanging out and going places keeps the members busy instead of alone, depressed, and lonely. This way allows support seven days of the week.
These are simply some of the things group leaders and group members should know. Please also read: